RSA Conference 2020 is in full swing! Ten keynotes took the stage throughout the day in front of packed audiences in Moscone West and South.
George Takei surprised attendees with this year’s opening, asking the audience to think about their own human element. Whether a “rebel or collaborator, creator or helper,” he encouraged them to “embrace similarities, celebrate differences, revel in knowing that everyone is different yet aligned.”
Next, we welcomed Rohit Ghai, president of RSA. In his keynote, Reality Check: The Story of Cybersecurity, Ghai asked the audience if the humans in cybersecurity will matter once technology advances. He argued yes – the human element will always matter and what differentiates humans from machines is our ability to tell a story. We, as cybersecurity professionals, need to change the story of cybersecurity and turn the narrative toward “cyber-resilience.”
Another annual crowd favorite – The Cryptographers’ Panel – took place this morning. Zulfikar Ramzan, CTO of RSA, moderated the panel joined by two of RSA’s founders, Ronald Rivest and Adi Shamir, along with industry experts Whitfield Diffie, Arvind Narayanan and Tal Rabin. The experts explored the most pressing issues facing the industry today like GDPR and CCPA, the ethical uses of AI, election security and the rise of blockchain.
In a dynamic keynote, Tracy Edwards MBE shared her experience as captain of the Maiden sailboat and her all-female sailing crew’s race around the world. She explored the parallels between the cybersecurity industry and the adventurous world of sport, including the need to keep moving forward and the importance of building a strong team.
The second annual RSAC CISO Bootcamp also kicked off today. CISOs and deputy CISOs gathered from some of the largest organizations in the world to exchange ideas and engage in open and frank discussions in a closed-door environment.
Debuting today at RSAC 2020, the RSAC Engagement Zone makes it easier than ever to connect with peers from around the world for meaningful interactions—ranging from informal to structured, and one-on-one to group settings. See the schedule for the week and learn more here.
The doors to the RSAC Sandbox also opened this afternoon with the CyBEER Ops Networking Reception. RSAC Sandbox is a hands-on and interactive space where you can test your cybersecurity skills – and learn new ones. The Sandbox will be open tomorrow, Wednesday, February 26 from 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM.
Lastly, we extend a big congratulations to Professor Joan Daemen and Professor Vincent Rijmen, the recipients of this year’s Excellence in the Field of Mathematics Award – announced during the keynotes this morning.
Wednesday: A Preview Snapshot
- Keynotes: Another reminder that we have two keynote stages again this year, in Moscone West and South. We encourage you to check out the full schedule, and keep in mind that Conference will also be livestreaming many of this year’s keynotes. Here’s a few you won’t want to miss on Wednesday:
- Hacking Exposed: Global Threat Brief – 8:00am – 8:50am at Moscone South. This presentation will explore the most novel attacks in the current global threat landscape, diving into specific, real-time examples of threat actor activity from both nation-states and criminal groups.
- Genomics: A New Frontier for Privacy and Security – 9:20am – 10:10am at Moscone South. This panel will explore the opportunities and challenges of genomics in an interactive roundtable discussion with the foremost leaders in the industry.
- Record-Breaking: My Life and Career with NASA – 10:55am – 11:40am at Moscone West. In this keynote, veteran astronaut, Peggy Whitson, will share key aspects of her life and career with NASA.
- RSAC Launch Pad – 4:15pm – 5:00pm in Moscone South. Back for a second year, early stage startups will introduce their potentially groundbreaking solutions to high-profile venture capitalists in a Shark Tank®-style format. You don’t want to miss out!
- Expo Pub Crawl – 4:30pm – 6:00pm in Moscone North and South Expo. Enjoy complimentary beer, wine and non-alcoholic beverages as you visit sponsoring companies’ booths to learn about their latest innovations.
A reminder that the Expo floor hours on Wednesday will be 10am-6pm, and don’t forget to check out the RSAC Early Stage Expo, which is open through 4pm on Wednesday!