At RSA Conference, our mission is to help move the cybersecurity industry forward by creating a forum where the global cybersecurity community can come together to learn and innovate. As we strive toward this mission, we also aim to support the local San Francisco community as a whole, while doing our part to reduce the environmental impact of our event.
Here are just a few of the things that are happening now, with more to come in the future.
Community SupportSince 2016, we’ve hosted an event for RSAC Security Scholars to build bikes for local charities. In 2019, 80 students built 15 bikes that were all donated to the local Boys and Girls Clubs! Additionally, select staff uniforms are reused or recycled by Project Homeless Connect, a project that connects the homeless population of San Francisco with resources they might need. RSAC also provides Full Conference Passes and discounts to affinity groups who gather and champion under-represented groups in cybersecurity, as well as to college students through our RSAC Security Scholar and RSAC College Day programs.
Sustainability and Reduction of Environmental Impact
RSAC offers bus shuttles to and from area hotels help reduce the need for attendees to take individual cars. According to ridership data from 2019 this helped to significantly reduce the carbon impact.*
|Monday||1,997 passengers||99.85 passengers per bus capacity**|
|Tuesday||4,546 passengers||227.3 passengers per bus capacity**|
|Wednesday||2,667 passengers||133.35 passengers per bus capacity**|
|Thursday||1,973 passengers||98.65 passengers per bus capacity**|
|Friday||282 passengers||14.1 passengers per bus capacity**|
|TOTAL||11,465 passengers||573.25 passengers per bus capacity**|
Carbon Footprint (with buses): 20,912 lbs of CO2e (equal to 243 urban trees)
Carbon Footprint (with cars): 2,729,770 lbs of CO2e (equal to 31,749 urban trees)
Avg mileage made total (bus) 3439.5
Avg mileage total (car) 68,790
*Assumptions made for purposes of these calculations:
Each bus trip was estimated to hold about 20 passengers as an average. The car calculation assumed a commonly-used automatic sedan brand. Estimated mileage for the cars is three miles driven each way (6/day), based on an average of miles from hotels.
**Equivalent to trips comparable to cars
We choose partners who are environmentally-conscious. This includes production, venue and food service partners.
During the production of RSA Conference, we use as many materials as possible that are environmentally-friendly and/or recyclable including through a production partnership with an ISO 20121 Event Sustainability Management System certified company, which includes:
- Paper and cardboard signs
- FSC-certified lumber and low VOC paints/adhesives
- Reusable and recyclable carpet
- Increased digital messaging rather than more printed signage to reduce material usage
- A material donation program that redirects waste from landfills and benefits local charities
By choosing to host RSAC at Moscone Center, we are choosing the highest scoring Leadership in Energy and Environment Design (LEED) convention center in the world! This includes:
- The largest rooftop solar panel array in San Francisco
- A rainwater harvesting and water treatment system
- High performance glazed windows with low emissivity glass
- Energy efficient light fixtures
- Zero-waste stations
Additionally, food service waste is handled the with the environment in mind with:
- “Biobags” for trash bags which are 100% bio degradable and 100% compostable
- 100% compostable serve ware at all building concessions (Fun fact: the containers look like plastic, but are made from vegetable resins!)
- Compost bins for as much leftover food as possible